28.8.07

Stellar Museums, Sensuous Music

I didn't journal much in London, and many of my myriad experiences are still coming back to me...
One of the most amazing museum exhibits I've ever seen is Soundwaves at Kinetica. This tiny glass-walled museum in the center of Spitalfields market was full of innovative, interesting, & interactive sound pieces. My favorite was Michael Markert's "phonetic theremin," sort of a mix between a talk-box and a theremin, that treated the spatial position of your hands as a mouth forming vowels.

That is the kind of work I would LOVE to be able to do. It's nice to experience interactive pieces about sound (not just "music"); be able to point to something specific that I would be proud to call my own. I want to do more research about the methods these artists use. I need to remind myself that such things are possible, and that I probably already have the skills to do some of them! I'll start by refreshing my Max/MSP/Jitter skills, perhaps.


On a different note, any Eno fan (or non-fan, really) who hasn't downloaded the Oblique Strategies widget yet, do so!

Which reminds me, I did a short "study" in the style of Eno last semester:

(© H. Konzman, of course)
The voices are 1920s Tarpon Springs school children reciting the Greek alphabet, courtesy of the Library of Congress.

Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

ronen said...

oh those moments in rush's class